Searching for ways to pay your traffic fines with ease and on time, is like trying to rummage around for a seamless way to sell your car for cash without the hassle, haggle and safety risks involved in selling your car privately or trading in your old car for a new car.

CarZar has taken care of both! CarZar provides a seamless way to sell your car. It’s as easy as 1, 2 ,3. On, you can get a free instant online quote and book an obligation-free inspection. If you’re happy with your final cash offer at your CarZar inspection and you accept it, you’ll receive an instant payment, and free vehicle ownership transfer.
However, if you want to sell your car, you need to take care of those steep traffic fines first!
When it comes to paying traffic fines in South Africa’s major cities such as Cape Town, Sandton, Pretoria and others, there are a lot of questions about how, where, when and to whom one must pay the traffic fine.
First thing’s first… It’s important to note that a traffic fine must be settled within the city you received it at the relevant municipality’s traffic department. For example, if you’ve committed a road traffic violation in Cape Town’s CBD, the fine you receive must be dealt with by the City of Cape Town’s Municipal Traffic Department.
Secondly, do you even know what you’re paying for? Did you know, there are 2 different types of traffic fines in South Africa? Most motorists pay for a road traffic fine without knowing what type of fine it is.

  1. Section 56 notice: “A section 56 notice is issued by a traffic officer and usually involves an offence that happened while the vehicle was moving.  The notice will include a pay date as well as a court date. You have 14 days to pay your fine or appeal in court on the appointed date, which will be within 4 months.”
  2. Section 341 notice: “issued when the motorist is not around. This may be for an expired licence disc, parking in a loading zone or parking on a yellow or red demarcated lane. A section 341 notice is sent to the motorist by post for violations caught on traffic camera. You have 30 days to pay a section 341 notice fine before a notice of summons is issued, after which you have a further 30 days to pay before a summons with a court date is sent to you.”

Here are some top questions answered about paying traffic fines in South Africa:

1. How can I pay my traffic fine quickly and conveniently?
The Western Cape Government has made many road traffic fine payment methods available. However, it is highly recommended to settle your traffic fine before its deadline. You’ll also need your fine notice number and ID number. For quick and convenient ways to go about doing so online, click on:

For upfront cash payment, you can visit:

  • Selected Spar Kwikpay stores
  • City cash office
  • City of Cape Town municipal courts
  • Post your fine payment to the city’s traffic services address

2. Can I pay a fine that’s past the due date?
So, you’ve missed your traffic fine payment… But, whether you haven’t paid your traffic fine by the date indicated or have received a notice, payment is one thing you cannot escape from. You can make payment at either the municipal court or nearest traffic department, through credit card, postal order or cash.
If you’ve received a court summons, you’ll have to settle the amount at the relevant court stated. However, if your summons has been issued for not paying or your fine is overdue, then you can do so at the specified municipal court before your court date.
3. How do I dispute a fine?
Court appearance! Dress up and lay your claim on your court summons date.
There are, however, 2 different ways to go about disputing your fine:

  • Send or fax a letter to the relevant municipality’s traffic department stating your reasons, along with a copy of your road traffic fine – your fine will be received by the Traffic Manager, sent to the court’s Public Prosecutor for review and sent back to the Traffic Manager; all within 6-weeks.
  • Contact the public prosecutor at the relevant court, before the date of your summons.

4. Where can I view the speed-camera photo?
Thanks to the digital age, the convenience of the online world allows your to check out your speed-camera photo – that’s, however, only if your camera fine’s notice begins with “9” or “4”.
You’ll have to, of course, register online first. Here, you’ll be required to provide:

  • Your vehicle registration number
  • The photo’s municipal district
  • The film number stated on your traffic fine

5. Where can I find out if I have outstanding fines?
Stressing about outstanding traffic fines? Contact the traffic department’s ‘traffic enquires section during office hours from Monday to Friday between 8am and 3:30pm.
However, if it so happens to be that you have an outstanding traffic fine due, you’ll have to take a road trip down to the traffic department to receive a printout.
If you’re unsure about why you’re unaware about the traffic fine, then perhaps it’s because your personal details have changed. Ensure to keep the following personal details updated to keep watch on all traffic violation fines due:

  • Physical and postal address
  • Motor vehicle registration number

Contact the relevant traffic department for more information.
6. What is the money used for?
Tax, of course, but otherwise know as “City income”.
According to the Western Cape Government site, “All traffic fine and impoundment income goes into the combined City income.”
If you’re wondering where your traffic fine payment goes to, in layman’s terms, it gets flogged to City-related costs and services.
7. What are admin marks?
Ever heard of admin marks, but not sure what it is? In a nutshell, if you haven’t appeared for your court summons, you’ll be issued with a warrant of arrest. Thus, if you have admin marks, you will not able to renew your:

  • Car license
  • Driving license
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Professional driving permit

To remove an admin mark, contact the local City municipality from which the fine was issued, to find out how to pay the fine and remove the mark.
For more information about the different Municipalities and Traffic Departments in the Western Cape, read:
List of Transport & Municipal Traffic Departments in the Western Cape