How To Claim from the Road Accident Fund

How To Claim from the Road Accident Fund

February 27, 2020
Posted by: Estefan

The creation of public road transportation has played a vital role in contributing to the growth of Modern South Africa. However, the country’s economic growth has led to high statistics of road accidents; not only involving motor vehicles but also pedestrians. But, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) has provided a safety net for situations like these.

If you have been in a car accident, due to the negligence of the other driver, you and your loved ones involved may lodge a claim with the Road Accident Fund. The benefit of this is that those injured can use the Fund’s financial assistance in aim to pay expensive medical bills and the wages they have lost. The RAF is funded by a fuel levy included in the prices of diesel and petrol prices.

Prior to the RAF, the effect of road accidents on society and the economy has been ignored for years. The Road Accident Fund has therefore been implemented as a ‘state-supported’ insurance to cover road accident victims.

The RAF offers compulsory social insurance coverage to South African road users. These include members of the society, as well as other citizens and foreigners. The purpose of the RAF is to provide security during accident injury and death, that may transpire within South African borders. The Fund is therefore an indemnity insurance to the victim and family members casualty to the accident event.

If you have been in a road accident, here is what you need to know in order to claim insurance coverage from the South African Road Accident Fund:

So, who can claim from the RAF?

You can claim road accident insurance from the Road Accident Fund if you are the driver who have been affected by the other driver’s negligence or if you are an injured passenger or pedestrian, who has been caught up in the dangerous event. In terms of tragic road accidents, if the road accident has resulted in the death of a person who financially supported the passenger, the child, spouse or other person can claim from the RAF. A close relative of the dead person who paid for the funeral, also have right of way to claim from the road accident fund. If the claimant is younger than 18-years of age, a parent or legal guardian will have to assist them.

But, there are also certain conditions under which a Road Accident Fund may not be claimed. The motor vehicle driver who have caused the accident due to negligent driving, are not allowed to claim. You are also not allowed to claim, if you were the only persona and motor vehicle involved in the accident.

Although fuel prices may be heightened due a small added percentage of the RAF, the compensations are bigger. By claiming from the Road Accident Fund, road users involved in road accidents can expect insurance coverage on medical and funeral expenses, for suffering and pain, lost earnings due to unemployment, suppor-loss if the main income provider has died (unless, he/she has caused the accident).